Satisfaction levels with Kent’s Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRC) have been found to be overwhelmingly high in a new survey.
Nearly 9,000 people were asked about their experiences, with the results showing 95% were satisfied or quite satisfied with their visit and felt safe.
More than 98% were also happy with the booking system.
Kent’s 18 HWRCs closed on March 23, 2020 following the national lockdown and re-opened in May with social distancing.
The number of bookings people could make was initially limited, but residents can now book as many trips as they need for up to a month in advance.
KCC Cabinet Member for Environment, Susan Carey said: “We know how important our 18 HWRCs are to the people of Kent and how much they were missed in the two months they were closed. It’s good to see how satisfied visitors are with their visit and that they feel safe.
“The booking system allowed us to reopen the sites safely as we could ensure social distancing for both visitors and staff without long queues of waiting traffic outside. We’ve worked hard to improve the system to make it easier to use and I’m delighted that 98% of people found the booking system extremely or quite easy to use.”
From March 2, the number of booking slots has increased by 25 a day at the county’s HWRCs, bringing the number of slots available across Kent to 39,760 per week.
KCC currently has 18 HWRCs open 7 days a week, providing facilities for the recycling and disposal of more than 30 different types of household waste. A new site is due to open in Allington after receiving planning approval last year.
The survey found:
- 95% of all respondents were extremely or quite satisfied with their visit to an HWRC
- 95% of all respondents were extremely or quite satisfied that the HWRC was run in a way that allowed social distancing by staff and customers
- 50% of respondents would not make any improvements to the HWRCs
- The two most popular suggestions for improvements were more booking slots (21%) and an evening opening (16%)
- 96% of all respondents were able to reserve a slot on the day they wanted, on an acceptable date or did not have a specific date in mind when they booked.
- Among respondents who made changes to their reservation after booking, 96% found it extremely or quite easy.
- Overall satisfaction with the booking experience was very high: 98% of respondents were extremely or quite satisfied.
- Among those who have already used the booking system, 94% felt extremely or quite positive about using the system in the future