Faith groups across the county will be welcoming visitors to their places of worship next month.
Inter Faith Week (November 10 – 17) is an opportunity to increase awareness and celebrate the diversity of faith across Kent.
Kent County Council has been working in partnership with the Kent Equality Cohesion Council and the Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education to run Diverse Open Doors 2019 – a series of open days where people can learn about different beliefs.
Mike Hill, KCC’s Cabinet Member for Community and Regulatory Services said: “We are pleased that, once again, we have a number of different faiths taking part in this initiative.
“We hope that members of the public will be able to take advantage of this opportunity to find out about other religions as we believe that better understanding will support and strengthen our community.”
The open days this year are:
- Monday 11 November, 11:15 am – 1 pm – Greek Orthodox Church of the Archangel Michael, 8 Westbrook Cottages, Margate, CT9 5BE
- Wednesday 13 November, 10am – 12pm – St Michael and All Angels Church, Tonbridge Road, Maidstone, ME16 8JS
- Wednesday 13 November, 12.30pm – 2pm – Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral House, 11 The Precincts, Canterbury, CT1 2EH
- Thursday 14 November, 10am – 10:45 am – Gravesend Mosque, 11 Albion Terrace, Gravesend, DA12 2SX
- Thursday 14 November, 11am – 11:30am – Gravesend Mandir 10–12 Manor Road, Gravesend, DA12 1AA
- Thursday 14 November, 11:45am – 1 pm – Guru Nanak, Darbar Gurdwara, Khalsa Avenue, Gravesend, DA12 1AG
- Thursday 14 November, 1:30pm – 2:30pm – Tonbridge Baptist Church, Darenth Ave, Tonbridge, TN10 3HZ
- Friday 15 November, 2:30 – 4:30pm – Tenterden Unitarians, Unitarian Old Meeting House, Ashford Road, Tenterden, TN30 6LL
- Saturday 16 November, 4 – 5pm – Gravesham Pagans, Gravesend Library, Windmill Street, Gravesend DA12 1BE
- Sunday 17 November, 2 – 4pm – Thanet and District Reform Synagogue, 293A Margate Rd, Ramsgate, CT12 6TE
For more information or to book any of the open days, please visit https://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/interfaith-working/interfaith-events, email PSRPolicy@kent.gov.uk or phone 03000 410511.
Places are free and must be booked by November 8. Your details will be passed on to the relevant place of worship. Any data collected will only be used for the purposes of the Diverse Open Doors 2019 event.
For further information contact David Gazet at Kent County Council Communications Office on 03000 422589 or email David.Gazet@kent.gov.uk