KCC works to minimise M2/A2 weekend disruption

Kent County Council has been working with Highways England to minimise disruption following last weekend’s M2 and A2 roadworks.

Work to resurface the M2 junctions 7 to 5 will now see the road remain open on Friday (July 19) for one of the busiest weekends of the year.

Highways England says it will monitor traffic conditions throughout Saturday to see if work can continue.

Kent County Council has also requested no work is carried out on the last week in August which is also peak travel time during the school holidays.

KCC has also ensured that overnight works will finish at 4.30am rather than 6am to ensure commuter coaches to London will be able to get into the capital.

Cabinet Member for Planning, Highways, Transport and Waste Mike Whiting

KCC cabinet member for highways Mike Whiting said: “There were considerable problems at the weekend for vehicles trying to use the A2 because of utility works happening at the same time.

“Everyone wants to avoid a similar situation as we move into the busiest weekend of the year and I am grateful that, after talks, Highways England has made considerable changes to its schedule of works on the M2 and that the A2 works in Faversham have been postponed.

“We have pushed for as much signing and messaging as possible to warn people of the motorway closure to ensure as many people are aware and to help ensure port traffic uses the A20 and M20.

“The works that were planned to take place on the A2 Faversham are now not taking place and should dramatically reduce the impact we saw last weekend to help the residents, visitors and businesses of Kent.”

KCC works to minimise M2/A2 weekend disruption was last modified: July 17th, 2019 by Thom Morris