Two Kent social workers have been selected as finalists in the Social Worker of the Year Awards 2018 in recognition of their outstanding work with vulnerable people in the county.
Kerri Davies, a care manager based at Brook House in Whitstable, has been nominated for Newly Qualified Adult Social Worker of the Year. Heidi Turtle, a children’s social worker based in Tonbridge and Malling, is in the running to be named Newly Qualified Children’s Social Worker of the Year.
The pair have been invited to attend an exclusive ceremony in London on November 30, where they will take their place among 91 other finalists across 16 categories.
The winners in each category will compete against each other to be named the ‘Overall Social Worker of the Year 2018’.
Christine Beaney, Assistant Director, Learning Disability Services, said: “I am delighted and very proud that Kerri has been recognised for her hard work and professionalism. While she is at an early stage in her career, this achievement is a strong example of the passion and tenacity of Kent’s social workers, who go the extra mile every day to support vulnerable adults and children across the county”.
Congratulating Heidi on her achievement, Sarah Hammond, Director of Integrated Children’s Services added: “Heidi had been working as a social work assistant and, recognising her potential, we sponsored her to undertake an Open University degree to become a qualified Social Worker whilst continuing her work. This is an excellent example of how Kent County Council supports and develops its employees”
“With competitive benefits, there has never been a better time to join our social work teams, for more information visit https://www.kent.gov.uk/jobs/careers-with-us.”
The awards are judged by leading influencers in the social work sector including chief social workers Isabelle Trowler and Lyn Romeo, Children’s Commissioner for England Anne Longfield OBE and Maris Stratulis of the British Association of Social Workers.
People who have received support from social workers are also represented on the judging panel.
Mike Angell, Chairman of Kent County Council, said: “At a time when the council faces tremendous pressure, it is important we recognise individuals like Heidi and Kerri who go above and beyond to support the most vulnerable people in our society.
“I am proud of their achievements as they are an example of the professionalism, integrity and hard work undertaken by our teams of social workers across the county every day.”
For more information about the Social Worker of the Year Awards please see www.socialworkawards.com.
Notes for journalists
- The awards are open to qualified practitioners throughout England with a range of individual and team categories for those working in both children’s and adult departments.
- The sponsors for the Social Worker of the Year Awards 2018 are as follows:
- Sanctuary Social Care – Headline Sponsors (Overall Social Worker of the Year, Best Social Work Employer of the Year)
- The British Association of Social Workers – Corporate Partner (Lifetime Achievement, Newly Qualified Adult Social Worker of the Year)
- Devon County Council – Category Supporter (Mental Health Social Worker of the Year)
- Hampshire County Council – Category Sponsor (Creative & Innovative Social Work Practice)
- Bradford Council – Category Sponsor (Student Social Worker of the Year)
- North Lincolnshire Council – Category Sponsor (Practice Educator of the Year)
- Kent County Council – Category Sponsor (Team Leader of the Year, Children’s Services)
- Sunderland City Council – Category Sponsor (Team Leader of the Year, Adult Services)
- UNISON – Category Sponsor (Team of the Year, Adult Services)
- Barnardo’s – Category Sponsor (Children’s Social Worker of the Year)
- Tees Valley Local Authority Child and Adult Services – Category Sponsor (Making a Difference)
- Essex County Council in partnership with Capita – Category Sponsor (Championing Social Work Values)
- London Borough of Lambeth – Category sponsor (Team of the Year, Children’s Services)
- Children’s Social Work Matters – Category Sponsor (Newly Qualified Children’s Social Worker of the Year)
- Servelec HSC – Category Sponsor (Adult Social Worker of the Year)