Over 40 Kent and Medway businesses have achieved prestigious awards aimed at improving the health of their workforce.
The Kent Healthy Business Award, and the Medway equivalent programme, Medway Healthy Workplace Award, are based on the National Health and Wellbeing Charter. Their focus is to improve the county’s environment and help companies to boost productivity and profits by keeping staff healthy and safe.
Recipients from across the county attended a special ceremony where they received their certificates and awards from Graham Gibbens, Kent County Council’s Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health, and Councillor David Brake, the portfolio holder for Adult Services at Medway Council.
The businesses were independently assessed after meeting standards in areas such as leadership, absence management, mental health and wellbeing, physical activity, smoking and tobacco related ill health, alcohol and substance misuse.
Graham Gibbens said: “From children and young people, through the working population and to older residents, improving the health and wellbeing of people across Kent is a key priority for us. This accreditation helps us to reach those workforces and allows local businesses and organisations to play their part, benefitting their staff and in turn their organisation. Health is everyone’s business.”
Cllr David Brake added: “We were really impressed by all participating businesses and I’d like to congratulate the winners on their success in improving the health of their workforce. A healthy workplace makes for happier members of staff and consequently higher productivity.”
The Kent winners are:
- Kent Fire and Rescue Service, South East Water, Snodland and Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- DS Smith Packaging, Sheerness; Chemsi Florist, Sittingbourne; No Place Like Home, Faversham; Waller Associates Ltd, Sittingbourne; Waller Associates, Sittingbourne.
- KIMs Hospital; Grupo Bimbo – New York Bakery; Phoenix Support; Maidstone Borough Council; One Maidstone; Red Rocket Associates.
West Kent and Weald areas:
- Veolia Tonbridge Depot, Tonbridge; RARK Solutions, East Malling; 3 H Fund Tunbridge Wells; Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council, Tonbridge; Wilkinson Construction Consultants Ltd, Kings Hill; Veolia Environmental Services Tonbridge; RARK Solutions, East Malling; Royal Mail Medway Valley Snodland Depot; Wellbeing People, Marden.
North Kent area:
- Ergro Mechanical, Dartford; Lumar Jewellers, Gravesend; NB Pharmacy, Gravesend; Tesco Metro Gravesend; Swanstaff Recruitment,Dartford; The Grand CIC, Gravesend; Gravesham Borough Council,Gravesend; NBC Construction, Northfleet.
East Kent area:
- Herrington Consulting, Barham; The Grange GP Surgery, Ramsgate; Kent Enterprise Trust, Herne Bay; Turning Point, Dover; EKHUFT, Canterbury, Ashford, Margate.
And from Medway:
- Lustre Consulting, The Right Step Dance Company, NHS Medway Clinical Commissioning Group, Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, Medway Council.
Three businesses presented on the work they had been doing around Health at Work: D S Smith Packaging in Sheerness, Kent Enterprise Trust, Herne Bay and Lustre Consulting, Medway.
The businesses can work towards three levels – committed, achieved and excellence – and companies are invited to sign up to the Kent award scheme. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.kent.gov.uk/healthybusiness
Or for Medway go to:www.medway.gov.uk/workplacehealth