School crossing patrols have a legal right to stop traffic for anyone who needs help crossing the road.
It is an offence to fail to stop when a school crossing patrol displays the stop sign.
KCC cabinet member for transport Mike Whiting said: “Our school crossing patrol officers have the same authority as a police officer to stop traffic, as set out clearly in the Highway Code.
“Failing to stop puts vulnerable road users at risk and the patrol staff are instructed to report any driver who fails to stop to the police and this could result in prosecution.
“I realise people are in a rush in the mornings and at home time, but a little bit of patience can go a long way in bringing down incidents on our roads.”
Remember when you approach a school:
- slow down when you see a patrol warning sign or flashing lights and be prepared to stop
- stop when the patrol is displaying the stop sign
- be patient and do not move forward
- do not park where the patrol works, on zig-zag lines or other areas with parking restrictions
Drivers can be fined up to £1,000 and receive three penalty points for offences.
KCC is working with police and borough/district council parking enforcement teams to improve driving behaviour.
Read the school crossing patrol leaflet (PDF, 850.2 KB) from Road Safety GB for more information.
KCC is always looking for new school crossing patrols across the county.
School crossing patrols require a dedicated community-minded person to carry out this important role of ensuring the safety of children on their way to and from school.
We are always looking for members of the community who can:
- demonstrate an awareness of traffic and conditions
- have a sense of responsibility
- are keen to show the dedication
- commitment required in making the roads of Kent safer for children.
Apply for a position
Salary: £9 per hour
Hours: 38 term-time weeks, plus an allowance for taking holidays during school term-breaks. The number of hours worked will depend on the school site but will be between 5 hours and 10 hours per week.
Uniform provided: yes
Training provided: yes